Treatment can be either non-residential or residential, short term or long term. Which type is most appropriate for you will depend on the kinds of drugs, the frequency, and amounts you have been using, Usually an addiction agency or a detox intake worker can help you figure that out. If there is a risk of serious physical side effects of withdrawal, or if the environment in which you are living make it more beneficial for you to receive your treatment in a safe place, you could be referred to a residential program. These programs are located all over the province and usually keep you for a minimum of 21 days. A provincial description of addiction treatment resources can be reached at 1-800-565-8603 (Drug and Alcohol Helpline)

If such risks are not there for you and you can stop on your own for several days at a stretch,, you could do well in a non residential setting. There are short term settings and longer term settings such as Rideauwood. Although at first, most people want to get treatment over as quickly as possible and get on with their lives, most problem substance abusers who have been around the system for a while, realize (and this is verified by research) that the longer they continue to receive help, the greater the likelihood of successful abstinence and quality recovery.

If 21 days is not long enough for you to remain in a safe environment, there are also some local residential settings that provide a longer term stay. Usually the first month involves structured programming but after the first month clients can resume their normal jobs or activities and use the facility as a safe, supportive place to live in the interim.