WHO IS THIS PROGRAM FOR?
This program offers education, crisis support and counselling to adults whose lives have been affected by chemical dependence in the family.
HOW WILL THIS PROGRAM HELP?
The program helps participants:
- Develop an understanding of chemical dependency
- Recognize the ways that your life has been affected by someone else’s addiction and to encourage and support you towards your own healing growth and development
- Identify unhelpful or problematic behaviors and to develop your own personal power for emotional, physical, and spiritual health
- Recognize the ways in which you affect the people around you, particularly children or others in your care
- Establish a support network in the community to help in maintaining change
HOW DOES THE PROGRAM WORK?
This program involves a series of weekly evening groups punctuated by a compulsory 4-Day Intensive Program (Monday to Thursday 9:30 AM to 4:00 PM). Participants begin the process with a Telephone Intake Screening.
- Telephone Intake Screening
Participants are briefly screened to determine the degree of safety, crisis or risk in your situation and to recommend appropriate or urgent referrals if needed.
- The Family Spiral Education Sessions
You will be scheduled to attend a short series of education sessions to learn more about chemical dependency and its effects. click here to learn more.
PHASE 1 – WEEKLY SUPPORT GROUP and ASSESSMENT
You will attend a weekly (evening) group for about 6 weeks that will provide you with education and support around addiction in the family. During this phase you will also work with a counsellor to complete a comprehensive assessment that will:
- gather information on family history, including the addiction history of your partner or significant other
- assess your own substance use
- determine the seriousness of your situation and make referrals to other services if needed
- identify what recovery issues you face and develop a goal-oriented treatment plan
PHASE 2 – THE 4 DAY PROGRAM
The 4 Day Program is a mandatory component of the Family Member Program that involves daily attendance (from 9:30 AM to 4:00 PM) Monday through Thursday. During this time you will experience an educational and insight-oriented program of lectures, videos, group therapy, experiential exercises, and assignments related to chemical dependency and its effects on the whole family. You will be guided to identify what you want to change in your life and be offered tools to reach your goals.
PHASE 3 – ONGOING SUPPORT GROUP
This weekly evening group serves as a continuing care group to support you while you implement and practice using the tools learned in The 4 Day Program. This program provides ongoing support and individual counselling sessions for up to 5 months.
If interested, please call 613.724.4881 and ask to book a telephone intake appointment.
Cost: This program is funded by the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care and is free for residents of Ontario. Out of province residents should call to discuss treatment options at Rideauwood.